Here is a list of a few good egg substitutes to use in cakes!
- 1/4 cup applesauce: Works great in all cakes, especially carrot or spice cake!
- 1/4 cup banana: I mainly use this in recipes that contain chocolate.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer + 2 tablespoons water: Tends to make crumbly cakes. Add half to a whole packet of gelatin.
- 1/4 cup pureed fruit: I like to do this for recipes with two eggs or more. Use pureed fruit for 1 egg and applesauce or flax seed mixture for the other.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda + 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar: I've found this to work with many cake recipes. Add the baking soda to the dry ingredients and the vinegar to the wet ingredients.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk: Although I've never personally tried this substitute, I've heard that it works quite well! If you use this as your egg substitute, don't forget to reduce the amount of water in the recipe you are using.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons water: This is my favorite egg substitution for cakes. It helps bind without interfering too much with the rising.